Friday, February 4, 2011

Getting Life Back Into An Old PC

So I have been wanting to game for some time now, and I have been able to play some games. The loner computer I have right now is an old dinosaur of a PC, as you can tell from the specs below.
Most applications and games now require at least 1GB of RAM to run. Along with a crappy integrated video controller from Intel. This things runs about as slow as can be. My gaming rig was a pretty decent build.

Equipped with:
  • Phenom X4 9100e Processor
  • 750 GB Hard Drive SATA
  • 4 GB of DDR2 SDRAM 240-pin PC2 6400/800MHz
  • 2 GB Overclocked EVGA GeForce GTS 250 PCI-E Graphics Card.
  • MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum nForce 750a Socket AM2+ Mother Board
The bad part is, it will not boot up. I replaced the mother board, but it didn't do much good, still no boot. Changed out power supply and still no boot. That really only leaves the RAM, mother board, processor, and power switch. Since you should be able to boot/post with no RAM being seated, but get an error post. That rules out the RAM. That leaves the processor/w heat sink and fan, and the power switch. I tried to short the power switch on the mother board but it still did not create a boot. That leaves me to believe that it is the processor.

So I will start off by trying to replace the processor since I have no way to test it on another working pc that will match the socket.
Update: Feb, 11 2011
Found out it was only a power supply issue all along. Replaced with a 550 watt PSU and now I am back on my gaming pc. This makes me a happy customer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment